Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On Giving Thanks

Throughout history, mankind has felt compelled to set aside a special day to pause, reflect and give thanks for the bounty it has been afforded by nature.

The festival of Thesmosphoria was celebrated by the Greeks each autumn on which third day, the women would make offers to the goddess Demeter of corn seeds, cakes, fruit, and pigs. It was hoped that Demeter's gratitude would grant them a good harvest.  The Romans also celebrated a harvest festival called Cerelia on October 4th each year, which honored Ceres, their goddess of grains. The festival featured offering of grains and fruits to Ceres as well as music, parades, games and sports and a thanksgiving feast.  Even as far back as the Egyptians, their civilization celebrated a harvest festival in honor of Min, their god of vegetation and fertility.

Fast forward to 1621. “After a hard and devastating first year in the New World the Pilgrim's fall harvest was very successful and plentiful. There was corn, fruits, vegetables, along with fish.The Pilgrims had beaten the odds. They built homes in the wilderness, they raised enough crops to keep them alive during the long coming winter, and they were at peace with their Indian neighbors.”

I wonder how many of us take time to reflect on Thanksgiving day to truly give thanks to mother nature, our families, friends, or even complete strangers for the blessings that have been bestowed upon us. I know it is hard at times, especially in this economy, to feel grateful. Unemployment is still high, finances are tough for many of us, the economy is still sluggish, we have sick relatives, children with learning disabilities, aging parents, high medical bills, and sometimes it is even difficult to put food on the table. The wilderness we face may be different than those of the Pilgrims, but it is still a wildereness we must conquer.  These challenges too shall pass, and we will share on the cornucopia of the bounty that will be placed before us.

Despite all the difficulties, I am happy to be alive. We must realize that each day is full of potential; a new beginning. As the Pilgrim fathers did, we must beat the odds. We must be grateful for small mercies, the bounty that is each and every one of us, and for the endless possibilities that come with each new dawn. I give thanks for today and every day, and for the opportunity to be the best I can be.  I give thanks for the lessons I have been given and the blessings of love and friendship I have in my life. 

One thing I know for certain is that all we have is today and that we must live it to the fullest, despite all the hardships we face, so that we can too harvest prosperity in our souls. It is this way, that we can reach the peace we need.  Though society may have turned the Thanksgiving Day celebration into something totally meaningless and commercial, we must strive to find the true meaning of giving thanks. It is not the turkey or the pumpkin pie that are important, but the fellowship and the time we share together.  G

Mary Jean Iron once wrote a beautiful passage entitled Let Me Hold You While I May that I first learned of from one of my heroes, Jill Conner Browne. Today, I want to share it with you. Please do not lose perspective on what is important. All we have is today, live it fully, and be grateful for the potential each day brings and with that potential, the difference we can make in each other's lives. Be thankful for this.  Once today is gone, the potential of tomorrow will never be the same. As your read this passage, think of individuals in your life, for they have lessons to teach you as well, and they are part of the bountiful harvest well all seek.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."

Have a blessed, safe and joyful Thanksgiving Holiday!  I will be giving thanks for the lessons of today and for the blessing of being alive.  Rest assured.

No comments:

Post a Comment